The legal basis of the system for assuring the uniformity of measurements of the Republic of Belarus (SAUM) is the Law on Assuring the Uniformity of Measurements and the Directives of the Government of the Republic of Belarus and the State Committee for Standardization of the Republic of Belarus.
The sate metrology service is headed by a national metrology body – State Committee for Standardization of the Republic of Belarus (Gosstandart of Belarus).
The major activities are as follows:
- maintenance of the common policy on the matters regarding measurement assurance, as well as coordination of the implementation and development of the SAUM of the Republic of Belarus;
- establishment and maintenance of the state metrological service;
- submitting of proposals for application of units of measurement in the Republic of Belarus to the Council of Ministers of the Republic of Belarus;
- development of legal and other directives aiming at assuring the uniformity of measurements; determination of priorities in metrology development;
- organisation of the development and approval of national standards and other normative documents regulating the implementation of the SAUM;
- organisation of the publication and dissemination of technical standards and scientific-technical information in the field of metrology including reference data;
- setting requirements for national measurement standards and measurement standard, as well as rules of their development, approval, maintenance and use;
- type approval of imported and domestically produced measuring instruments;
- organisation and performance of metrological surveillance;
- coordination of the cooperation in the field of metrology at the international level; representation of the Republic of Belarus in the international metrology organisations and collaboration with national metrology of other countries.
Gosstandart coordinates the activity of the following:
- Interindustry Commission of time and frequency and determination of the Earth rotation parameters,
- Interindustry Commission of reference substances and materials of composition and properties;
- Interindustry Commission of reference data of physical constants and properties of substances and materials.
Technical basis of the SAUM is represented by 54 national and primary measurement standards of the Republic of Belarus and above 3 500 reference measuring instruments.
The leading organisation in the field of developing and maintaining measurement standards is the National Metrology Institute – Belarussian State Institute of Metrology (BelGIM).
The major activities of BelGIM are as follows:
- development of scientific-methodological and procedural basis of the system for assuring the uniformity of measurements of the Republic of Belarus (SAUM);
- coordination and performance of fundamental and practical research;
- development, maintenance and comparison of national measurement standards with the international measurement standards or national measurement standards of other countries;
- recognition of national measurement standards by other countries;
- reproduction of measurement units and their dissemination to the measurement standards at the level of metrology services of enterprises and accredited laboratories;
- development of a uniform scientific-technical policy in the field of metrology and assurance of the uniformity of measurements;
- development of technical directives, national and interstate written standards, measurement procedures and methodological documents in the field of metrology;
- development of the criteria for classification of devices as measuring instruments;
- carrying out of state type approval tests, verification, calibration and metrological evaluation of measuring instruments and other metrology related work;
- maintenance of the state register of national measurement standards of the Republic of Belarus and the state register of approved measuring instruments;
- carrying out of metrological evaluation of measurement procedures and calibration of test equipment;
- participation in the cooperation projects in the field of metrology at regional and international levels as a National Metrology Institute (NMI);
- participation in training and improving the professional skills of personnel engaged in metrology.
The State Metrology Service includes 15 regional metrology bodies of Gosstandart.
Besides collaboration within COOMET there are good relations in the field of metrology with the following organisations:
- International Organisation of Legal Metrology (OIML);
- International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM);
- Interstate Council on Standardisation, Metrology and Certification (EASC);
- International Organisation of Standardization (ISO).