The legislative basis of the System for ensuring the uniformity of measurements of the Republic of Uzbekistan is the Law of the Republic of Uzbekistan "On Metrology" adopted in 1993, as well as the regulatory legal acts of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
The metrological service of the Republic of Uzbekistan consists of the state metrological service and metrological services of legal entities.
The state metrological service, headed by the Uzbek Agency for Standardization, Metrology and Certification (Uzstandard agency), includes the bodies of the state metrological service in the Republic of Karakalpakstan, regions and Tashkent city.
The structure of the agency "Uzstandard" includes:
- Research Institute for Standardization, Metrology and Certification State Institution;
- Uzbek National Institute of Metrology State Enterprise;
- Republican Test and Certification Center State Enterprise;
- Uzbek Accreditation Center for Conformity Assessment Bodies State Enterprise;
- Information and Reference Center State Enterprise;
- Center for Bar-coding and Information Technologies State Enterprise;
- Departments of Standardization and Metrology of the Republic of Karakalpakstan, regions and city of Tashkent;
- Testing and certification centers of the Republic of Karakalpakstan and regions.
The main tasks of the agency "Uzstandard" are:
- ensuring the practical implementation of the Laws of the Republic of Uzbekistan "On Standardization", "On Metrology", "On Certification of Products and Services", "On Conformity Assessment" and other normative legal acts in the field of technical regulation, standardization, metrology, certification and accreditation;
- implementation of a unified state policy in the field of standardization, metrology, certification, accreditation of quality improvement and product competitiveness based on the application of international standards, including the quality management system;
- ensuring the functioning and development of standardization systems, the uniformity of measurements, certification, accreditation and dissemination of scientific and technical information in these areas, as well as their harmonization with international, inter-state and national systems of foreign countries;
- implementation of measures to ensure the rights of consumers to comply with the requirements for safety and quality of products, works, services and protection from negative consequences of inaccurate measurement results;
- organization of work on training and professional development of personnel in the field of standardization, metrology certification and accreditation.
- creation, functioning and development of a national accreditation system;
- ensuring objectivity and impartiality when deciding on the accreditation of legal entities.
Uzbek National Institute of Metrology State Enterprise
In accordance with the Decree of the President of the Republic of Uzbekistan, in April 2017, at Uzstandard agency, Uzbek National Institute of Metrology State Enterprise (UzNIM SE) was established on the basis of the existing Center of National Standards State Institution, Center on Rendering of Metrological Services State Enterprise and metrology units of Research Institute for Standardization, Metrology and Certification State Institution.
The main tasks and directions of activity of UzNIM SE:
- implementation of measures to improve and develop the National measuring standard base of the Republic of Uzbekistan;
- maintenance of measurement standards, measuring instruments of the highest accuracy, their comparison at the international level, and storage and transfer of units of quantities;
- development of normative documents for ensuring the uniformity of measurements, implementation of international treaties on mutual recognition of metrological control results;
- implementation of metrological control and scientific research in the field of metrology.