|DPR of KOREA||
last update: 15.07.2019
1. Law on metrology
The legislative basis of the DPRK in the field of metrology is the DPRK Metrology Act, adopted in 1993.
2. Metrological infrastructure
The institution responsible for standards, scientific metrology and calibration service is Central Institute of Metrology (CIM).
Its main tasks are:
- maintenance and management of national standards for the measurement units of physical quantities;
- fundamental research in the field of metrology;
- development of national standards and reference measuring instruments;
- calibration and international comparison of various kinds of reference measuring instruments;
- pattern approval of measuring instruments;
- research for the establishment of law and regulations on metrology;
- train of the experts and dissemination of scientific and technical knowledge on metrology;
- international exchange in the field of metrology.
|Director:||Mr. Jang Myong Il|
|Address:||Sonsin-Dong No.1, Sadong District, Pyongyang, DPR of Korea|
|Telephone:||+850 2 381 86 49|
|Fax:||+850 2 381 44 80|
The institution responsible for legal metrology is the State Administration for Quality Management (SAQM) responsible for the metrological works in the country.
It is charged with the following main activities:
- to elaborate and realize the state policy in metrology;
- to define and register the measurement standards for the unification of measurement units and maintenance of their accuracy;
- to approve the measuring means;
- to accredit the self-calibration institution;
- to organize and carry out the inspection and supervision in the field of metrology;
- to elaborate the law, regulations and rules on metrology;
- to approve the guidelines to the calibration and pattern evaluation.
|Acting President:||Mr. Pak Song Guk|
|Director of Metrology Department:||Dr. Jo Hui Kon|
|Address:||Inhung-Dong No.1, Moranbong District, Pyongyang, DPR Korea|
|Telephone:||+ 850 2 18111 (ext. 381 8989)|
|Fax:||+ 850 2 381 44 10|
Territorial Institutions of Calibration are the subordinate of SAQM. These institutions are charged with the following main activities:
- to maintain the working standards and reference instruments;
- to calibrate the ordinary measuring instruments belonging to the category of state calibration within the territory;
- to carry out the supervision and control on metrology;
- to give technical and administrative guidance to the self-calibration institutions within the territory.
3. National measurement standards
(up-to-date information was not provided to the COOMET Secretariat)
4. Status of participation in Metre Convention
The DPRK is currently not a signatory to the CIPM MRA or an associate member of the CGPM, nor is it entitled to use the CIPM MRA logo.
5. Certificates of recognition of QMS of NMIs (within COOMET)
6. Status of Calibration and measurement capabilities (CMC data)
7. OIML membership status