| REPUBLIC OF TURKEY
||Area: : 783,562 thousand-sq. km2
Population: 76,667 millions inhabitants
METROLOGY INFRASTRUCTURE OF TURKEY
TÜBITAK Ulusal Metroloji Enstitüsü (TÜBITAK UME), as the National Metrology Institute of Turkey, is responsible for the establishment and maintenance of national measurement standards as well as research and development activities in scientific metrology in Turkey
TÜBITAK National Metrology Institute (TÜBITAK UME) is a research and development institute that operates under the umbrella of the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK), which is an affiliated institution of the Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology.
The institute aims to ensure the reliability of all measurements conducted in Turkey, to make provisions for the integration of these measurements into the international system and to develop existing and new measurement technologies, thereby establishing the national measurement system required for ensuring the accuracy of measurements used in commercial and industrial settings and which contributes to equity in national and international trade, increases in the quality of Turkish industrial products and enhances Turkey’s scientific and technological development.
The main activities of TÜBİTAK UME can be summarized as follows:
· To establish and maintain national measurements standards in accordance with the SI Units.
· To ensure the traceability of national measurement standards to international standards and to disseminate traceability nationally through the provision of calibration services
· To support the other elements of the national measurement system through the provision of training, consultancy services, publications and other mechanisms and the organization of measurement inter-comparisons and proficiency testing schemes.
· To produce and distribute certified reference materials to ensure the traceability of chemical measurements in Turkey
· To contribute to research and development in the areas of measurement techniques, calibration and measurement technologies at the international level.
· To represent Turkey at an international level in the field of metrology and to cooperate with international organizations and other national metrology institutes in order to fulfill the requirements of the Metre Convention and the CIPM Mutual Recognition Arrangement (CIPM MRA)
Under the terms of the CIPM Mutual Recognition Arrangement, TÜBİTAK UME has designated the Turkish Atomic Energy Agency (TAEK) to carry out the responsibility for establishing measurement standards and scientific metrology activities in the area of Ionizing Radiation. Similarly, the Marmara Research Center, Materials Institute - Underwater Acoustics Laboratory (MRC MI-UAL) has been designated in the area of underwater acoustics.
Director of TÜBITAK UME: Dr. Mustafa Çetintaş
Address: TÜBİTAK Gebze Yerleskesi
Baris Mah., Dr. Zeki Acar Cad. No. 1
41470 Gebze Kocaeli, Turkey
Telephone: +90 262 679 5000
Fax: +90 262 679 5001
The General Directorate for Metrology and Standardization (GDMS) under the Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology (MSIT) is the authority for legal metrology in Turkey.
The General Directorate for Metrology and Standardization’s duties were specified in the Decree Law on the Organization and Duties of the Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology published in the Official Gazette no. 27598 dated 08/06/2011. The general framework for legal metrology activities is provided by the Law No. 3516 on Measures and Standards that went into effect on 21/01/1989.
GDMS operates 7 regional metrology laboratories and 81 provincial verification bureaus. It is responsible for setting policy in the areas of legal metrology and standardization, specifying and applying mandatory standards and technical regulations in legal metrology and pre-packaging, conducting market surveillance and controls, designating and maintaining oversight of conformity assessment bodies and notified bodies in accordance with EU directives, control of measurement instruments used in trade, and the operation and supervision of public and private legal metrology laboratories. The practice of legal metrology in Turkey has undergone significant change in recent years as technical regulations have been harmonized with the EU within the scope of the ongoing membership negotiations with Turkey. Within this context, the GDMS has been responsible for the implementation of the Non-Automatic Weighing Instruments and Measurement Instruments Directives (NAWI and MID) of the EU.
General Director of GDMS: Mr. Mehmet Karaoğlu
Address: Ministry of Science, Industry and Technology
Mustafa Kemal Mah., Dumlupınar Bulvarı
2151. Cadde No. 154
0610 Cankaya Ankara, Turkey
Telephone: +90 312 231 7280
Fax: +90 312 231 1694